Thursday, June 17, 2021

FDGB



Just as GSW for "gun shot wound" and SOB for "shortness of breath" are standard abbreviations in the medical field, FDGB needs to become accepted medical terminology.

It's short for "Fall down; go Boom!"

That's as precise as necessary, and describes a frequent medical situation, both pre-hospital, and in-hospital. It eliminates unverified guessing on anyone's part about what the cause was, requiring proper medical diagnostic measures be taken, which improves patient care, and accuracy of condition prior to definitive diagnosis, so it's not just whimsical (however cute and funny it is). I didn't just make this up. I've been using it for 30 years, and sharing it far and wide, and lest you think this is just me, it's even in The Urban Dictionary.

So it's really a thing, and you owe it to yourself, your patients, your colleagues, and generations of medical professionals yet to come, to do your part, by making this an accepted medical abbreviation, and using it every chance you get. Learn it, live it, love it.

4 comments:

  1. The frequent puzzled looks I get from EMS says, not so much. Yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aesop - my wife and I are laughing like drains at this one. I had my first ever encounter with post-micturition syncope at 4:30 am yesterday. Three times in 30 seconds I found myself on the floor. FDBG sums it up PERFECTLY.

    Scared the crap out of wife (and our dogs). Minor lac, a few stitches in my eyebrow, bruising, I got off very lightly. I don't drink alcohol. I'm in dietary ketosis, dropping masses of weight, working out like a machine & had a huge day of yard work. Went to bed dehydrated and took a melatonin capsule to be sure I slept. I am overweight but fit and my rhr is usually ~45-50. Don't want to do that again. FDGB sucks !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used that phrase the last time I was answering the admitting nurse's questions after doing an accidental kinetic dismount from my bicycle. She just glared at me like SHE was the one in pain.

    ReplyDelete